Opportunities at Northern-Southern
Northern–Southern is an art agency and gallery currently located in downtown Austin. We produce 6-10 exhibitions of new work a year. We are art-first, values-first, and transparent. Our mission is to nurture and champion new art, design, and thought.
We are looking for people to share our mission, with the following qualities:
In turn we pledge to be:
We currently have an openings for a Gallery Intern (unpaid, educational).
Learn by participating.
The intern will be given opportunities to contribute to creation and care of exhibitions and other projects. Depending upon the aptitude of the intern and the weekly needs of the gallery, tasks could include: hospitality during visiting hours, help during events, working with artists, cleaning, social media, digital work, errand running, installation, and curation assistance. The intern could gain experience in running a gallery, designing and installing shows, promoting shows, working with artists, and thinking critically about art and showing it.
Opportunities will be created to suit the intern’s interests and ambitions. The experience should be fun, educational, and tailored to the intern’s time and schedule.
To get the most out of the experience, we recommend an intern commit to regularly participate for one show cycle: a month and a half.
Interns will be given a per diem.
Email email@example.com. Provide your name and contact information. In the email answer the following questions:
1. What do you study? If you are in college or recently graduated, where? What was your major and degree? If you did not take the college path, is there a craft, discipline or field you study? How?
2. What are you interested in learning?
3. What do you want to do the most (for work and for play)?
4. What are the last three exhibitions, books, movies, performances, or other art experiences to hold your attention and thought? Write one to three sentences about each of them.
5. Anything else you would like the reader of this email to know?